Thursday, March 9th 2017 – East Coast Face Painting Convention, Manchester CT
Day One, Class 3: Color Theory with Whitney Myers
• For a happier look, lighter colors angle towards the inside of the eye. (Opposite for angrier look.)
• Don’t always outline in black!
• After applying base layer, highlight with analogous color, then accent with complimentary color. Eg; green monster, yellow highlights and magenta horns etc.
• Recommended brands: Sponge with Kryolan, Brush with Global
A Green Monster:
• Pay attention to the focal point with your strokes; in towards the eye.
On the business side:
• Pay attention to where/how you are advertising vs. what kinds of clients you wish to target. (e.g.; “free” events vs. corporate).
• Cold calls work! In fact if you are the first person to call offering something they need then they are relieved to book you.
• Especially if you use LinkedIn to identify who the marketing director is of a certain firm; then when you call them you can ask for them by name and get right through because they think you know them.
• For fast paced gigs just have a menu with “3 boys and 3 girls” on a piece of laminated paper.
• Color matters! “Crap line work on vibrant color can still be amazing,” and with
no added cost or time.
• Remember your focal point. (Angle towards the eyes.)
• Master your dagger stroke! (aka: 5T x2)
And finally, the One Eye Butterfly & One Eye-Eating Dinosaur: